Do you want to surrender your weapons? Here’s how in Oregon, southwest of Washington

Giving up your guns might be easier than you think

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — Recent mass shootings in Uvalde, Texas and Buffalo, New York have inspired some people to give up their guns.

But how exactly can a person do this? Is it as easy as walking into a police department, placing the gun on a counter and walking away?

KOIN 6 News asked law enforcement in parts of Oregon and southwest Washington how people can turn in their guns and what happens to the guns once they’re in between. hands of an officer.

Here are the responses we received:

Portland Police Bureau

People can call the Portland Police Department’s non-emergency number (503) 823-333 to turn in their weapons. Members of the public may surrender a firearm for destruction to any sworn member on duty in any precinct. Once the weapons are returned to the office, they go to the property room and usually they will be destroyed.

However, there are some exceptions. If the firearm has been determined to be involved in a crime, PPB will retain it as evidence.

Years ago, PPB said it had held successful gun surrender events with Ceasefire Oregon and there have been discussions of possibly doing something similar again in the future.

Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office.

The Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office has a voluntary firearms return program and will try to accommodate anyone in the community who wishes to return their firearms. The Sheriff’s Office has a Firearms Transfer Unit that works with court-ordered responders who own firearms to help them return their guns to a safe place for the duration of the order. . From January 1 to May 17, 2022, 86 firearms were turned over to the MCSO as part of the firearms spoliation program.

The sheriff’s office said in 2020, 29 firearms were voluntarily surrendered for destruction in 2020 and in 2021 there were 61.

The MCSO shared an example of a recent surrender in April when relatives of a deceased family member asked MPs to take possession and destroy 105 firearms the deceased had left behind.

Beaverton Police Department

The Beaverton Police Department treats all guns surrendered by their owners as “property to be destroyed.” The police department keeps surrendered firearms in a secure facility for 90 days and then they are destroyed.

Hillsboro Police Department

The Hillsboro Police Department says it’s as simple as calling ahead (preferred) and making an appointment with the Property/Evidence Unit to turn in the guns. Their non-emergency number is (503) 629-0111.

Once the police department receives the weapons, they contact a company in the Salem area that melts the weapons in an extreme temperature furnace. Police say this is the same oven they use to dispose of all illegal drugs and legal prescription drugs that are handed over. They also use it to get rid of old police uniforms.

Washington County Sheriff’s Office

If anyone wants to turn in their firearms for destruction, they can call the Washington County Sheriff’s Office non-emergency number (503) 629-0111 and tell the dispatcher they’d like a deputy to stop by. home so he can submit his firearms. for destruction. Community members can also donate gun accessories and ammunition to MPs.

A deputy will coordinate with the person to retrieve the weapons and provide them with a receipt for the weapons.

The Deputy will then submit the weapons to the Evidence Unit for destruction.

Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office

Anyone living in Clackamas County can turn in unloaded firearms to the Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office. Anyone interested in surrendering their weapons should call the non-emergency number at (503) 655-8211 ahead of time to make arrangements.

Vancouver Police Department

The Vancouver Police Department says the process is simple. People can bring an unwanted firearm into either neighborhood during normal business hours and the police will accept it. The police department asks people to make sure their guns are unloaded before bringing them in. People can also return any ammo they have.

All surrendered firearms are destroyed.

Marion County Sheriff’s Office

To voluntarily turn in firearms to the Marion County Sheriff’s Office, people in the area should call the non-emergency dispatch number at (503) 588-5032 and tell the dispatcher that they have a firearm that they would like to return.

From there, a deputy will contact the community member and arrange a meeting with them. When the person turns in their gun to law enforcement, the deputy will give them a receipt for ownership of the firearms they turn in.

Firearms are brought to the MCSO Evidence Unit for disposal.

The sheriff’s office said these types of surrenders do not occur frequently, but appear to be more common after the gun owner dies and surviving relatives are unwilling to keep the guns.

Comments are closed.